I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Training my Children

Prov 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (KJV) Bible.





In my quest to figure out how to train my children I discovered as I posted about yesterday, that I need to teach them Love first. I have been praaying about it and thinking about it and trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with my kids. Where did I go wrong? A year ago, my kids were willing helpers around the house and they were very obedient. Yes they threw the occasional temper tantrum and yes they were what most people say "just being kids" but overall, I didnt have that many problems with them.



Well in all my thinking and praying and reading my Bible, I had another thought. I thought of how my sister would handle this, how she would figure it out. Julie has always turned to books...(no offense Julie, you are way more knowledgable than me...and books help alot. ) Not saying that she turns only to books, she prays and she reads her Bible alot. But she does have alot of books that I would love to read. She always has insight into stuff that I have questions about. So in thinking this, I started to go through my books. I stumbled upon a binder that I had been putting together for the past couple of years (until Jason was born actually....) It was my parenting binder...silly I know but it was.



In this binder, I have several, okay lots, of articles printed out from different websites that helped me in training my children. I realized that I need to reread and integrate (slowly, dont want to put too much on them at once) some of these points into our routine (when we finally get one...lol). So I am going to share the websites that I got these articles from. I am sure you probably already know most or all of them but maybe like me, you have forgotten them. I am also hopefully later today going to put links back up in my sidebar.



Above Rubies They have far more than just training your children. They have alot of encouragement and help for women.



Raising Godly Tomatoes They actually have a book now in print that you can buy. I am hoping to buy it.



Preschoolers and Peace This site has lots of interesting ideas and helps. Lots of things to keep your kids busy(not idol) and not busy work, but busy while teaching them good habits.



Christian Moms of Many Blessings another site that is just full of help.



Also Kelli had a very good post on parenting today with a couple of very good videos.



I will post more links to websites in my sidebar as I find them. I know that I am just getting started in this topic and I may post on it for a while. It is a topic that has become very important and dear to me. I know that I should have been trianing my kids all along and I think that I was but got lost at some point. I need to get back on track and get my training back underway. I dont mean this to mean that I want to be a tyrant, I just want my kids to mind and not have to be told 20 times to do something. And yeah 20 is a little exaggerating. More like 5 or 6. I know that if I train them right, then I wont have to tell them that many times. But I also know that it wont be easy.

4 comments:

JavaMama said...

I hate to give you a book on parenting but I must because it has been so influencial on me it is called Graced Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel. I have read a lot of parenting books, been to all of your links many times but this book has really given me what I think is a very biblical perspective on parenting that I missed in all of the other parenting books and sites I have been to. Of course I suggest the bible first and foremost and examine Jesus and how He discipled His children.

Well, I have to go hubby needs the laptop, and I fear I could write another letter :0).

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

cryssi said...

Its okay Kelli, go ahead and write another letter. :) I seem to remember hearing about that book. I will have to see if I can find it and read it. Thank you for the recomendation. And I cant recommend the Bible enough...I have been looking alot here lately at how alot of parents in the Bible reared their children. Its amazing the similarities to todays world...

Blessings
Crystal

Jules said...

Sis,

First of all, you made me feel better as a parent today! =) Also, no book can help you as much as the word of God can, I agree with both you & Kelli on that one! =)

You are a wonderful mother and person! I LOVE the fact that you are always working on improving yourself. You inspire me to be a better just all around person.

Love you & I have enjoyed these posts immensly!

Sissy

Jules said...

P.S.!!! I LOVE your new blog design; it's so pretty and soothing!! =)

Love ya,
Sis