I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13

Friday, May 18, 2007

Science and homeschooling

We had a science lesson yesterday. Whoohoo....It was over frogs....We have several that have been climbing onour windows and patio door. I dont know why they want to climb on there but they are. Yesterday, Kylie noticed one climbing on the door and asked me why they do that and of course that led to how do they do that. Well, we got on the internet to look up Frogs and wy and how. This particular frog we think is a gray tree frog and the other one I discovered when I went out to take pictures is a green frog. Whether it is a tree frog or not, it is really green. But we also got an upclose look at the underside of a frog and his webbed feet. Kylie thought that was really cool and Alaina now when you ask her how a frog swims, she hold up her hand and points to inbetween her fingers. It is really cute and funny.

this morning, we had another science lesson. just a little bit ago, their was frost on our window. Yes I know frost in May sounds crazy but it was. Kylie got up and wanted to know why it was their so we looked it up on the net and found out why colliding air tempatures make moisture.

She may or may not remember this stuff in the future. Chances are when you ask her about it, she wont be able to tell you but if you listen really close to her playing, she will be telling her dolls or reading it out of a book. it is so cute to listen to them playing.

This as I have been reading and finding out is a form of homeschooling called unschooling. Most people when they think of School in any form, think of it being like public school. You know desk and lesson plans and learning certain stuff by a certain age or you fail. Well unschooling is where you let life dictate what you teach and when. Like the frogs, I wouldnt have thought to teach it until at least fourth grade level. but we taught it and we may teach it again and again depending on what comes up.

I dont mean that I am not going to teach how to read and write and count and all that stuff, I just mean that we are going to have a schedule and goals but if something more interesting comes up that day then we will study it. Our curriculum will be some books with a lot of life experience added in.
I really think Kylie especially will learn better this way. If she was in public school right now, she would be labeled as disabled. Just because she is stubborn and doesnt want to learn her ABC's. What I have learnt is that alot of kids learn how to read before they can say their ABC's. When I was in school, they taught us our abc's and then how to read and they taught us our numbers and then how to add.....kylie wanted to know the other day what 1 + 5 was. She is learning at her own pace and I may think that she doesnt know her numbers or her letters but if she can ask that question, she is smarter than even I give her credit for.

anyway, more ideas and comments in my head but I need to go and get Alaina up. She was running fever all night and I need to see if she is okay. or if I need to make a trip to the doctor today.

Love and Prayers.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Crys,

I cannot post much....must be quick! I have so much to do! I want to let you know that you are doing really good. I am very proud of you. I love to read your blog because it helps me feel closer to you. I need to call you, hopefully I can this week-end if I can get a break. I miss you and think of you often. I know you don't think I need to lose baby weight but I DO!!!! I have stretched WAY OUT skin and muscles. Especially in my stomach! I hate that. I am trying to get off of sugar and so many carbs because they make me feel so tired. Sleep is rare right now so I really don't need that too! One suggestion I have is to eat alot of fajitas without the tortillas(chicken). To make it stretch farther fix rice and beans and give the rice to the kids. Also eat alot of onions and peppers with them. The chicken breasts are not as high as everyone thinks especially if you compare it to eating out! Anyway, we do this alot. About your comments, I know at least two people who read your blog. I don't know why they don't leave a comment. IF YOU ARE ONE OF THESE PEOPLE READING THIS, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT! Seriously, keep blogging, if for no one else, at least do it for ME! Well, I wrote a novel.. Got to go.... Love you.

By the way, I LOVE the pictures!

Ju-Ju

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the kids and you had fun learning about the frogs. I think unschooling is a good idea, because it uses the kids natural interest to motivate their education rather than have to work against them to try and force them to do certain things.

BTW, you might like unschool.info.