I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Stimulus Check

NOTE: the information in this post is taken from our CPA and the IRS website... http://www.irs.gov/
Please do not quote me on this as it is not my words but theirs.



I have been reading lots of reports on what people plan to do with their stimulus check. My question is what chekc..... Thats right. We at first thought we were getting one and were planning on getting my eyes checked (first time in five years), getting some dental work done (for me..first time in 10 years), and paying for new mattresses..(so my hubby wont hurt all the time...sleeping on $100 mattresses arent exactly good for you).

That is what we had planned. We were counting on the $1200 for a married filing jointly, plus $300 apiece for our three kids..(Jacks mom gets his even though he lives here..) So we were counting on $1800. Well, first blow was that when you are self employed, you only get $600 instead of $1200. Well Thanks Alot Government for helping the small businessman......THANKS A WHOLE HEAPING LOT.

Second blow....if the person whose social security number is being filed on (in our family, that would be my husband since he is head of household...my number is not supposed to have anything to do with it....) owes back taxes or a federal student loan, the stimulus that you would have recieved would now go to pay those. Well, we do not ow back taxes, and Paul does not owe a student loan but I do. Even though the stimulus is supposed to be based off of his social security number, we may not recieve a stimulus because I owe a student loan that we are barely making minimum payments on because of the price of gas going up to where all of our extra money that we was paying more than minimum payments on is now going to gas money.

On an off note but still dealing with our economy. Paul commutes 80+miles each day to work and back. He drives our little Honda Civic to save on gas (its not saving much anymore because it needs about 1800 dollars worth of work on it that we cant afford so it now runs like crap) Even driving the Civic, he spends about 120 on gas every week. Two years ago, he spent 80. In order for him to up his gas budget, we had to lower my grocery budget. I now get 50 less to spend on groceries every week. Just to do the math, that is a total of $200 dollars a month. Yeah we used to spend alot on groceries but we ate well (we ate steak (on sale only) about once a week during the summer). If you read my previous post on saving money, you know how we eat now. And it is fixing to get worse. My dear husbands job is getting less and less. I know alot of people would say, "well you will have that extra gas money...." No, cause if your not working to make that gas money, then you dont have it in the first place to say it is extra....

Anyway, I am just so tired of all this government crap that is going on here lately. It is really hard sometimes to keep a Christian attitude when your family is struggling. I know that yall know what I am talking about. I know you do. Do you know how many times in the last few days I have been tempted to put the kids in school and go to work? But then I think, no, that is what the devil wants me to do. He would love it for me to send my kids to someone else to be taught and for me to go to work and not spend as much time with my kids and my husband as I do now. He would love that But HE (God) wants me to perservere...HE wants me to keep on keeping on and keep the faith and know that HE will bring us through.

So while at the time that I am so mad at the government and so upset because I dont have the extra money to do things, I know that it is for a reason, it is for the best and I will keep doing what I am doing and Pray that there will be relief soon.

I'm kinda curious though, What are yalls Stimulus plans? Do you get money or not and if so, what do you plan to do with it? If we ever get ours...maybe my mouth will stop hurting and I will actually be able to see again......maybe....if it doesnt go for gas to get to Church Camp this summer. lol.

Love and Prayers.
Crystal


Edited: Just making clear that we are not getting a stimulus Check....So yeah its upsetting. I would have been grateful for anything. $300, $600, anything. But telling you you are going to get something and then not get anything......thats wrong.

3 comments:

javamamma said...

Yeah, we were pretty shocked when our check was $600 less than we thought. Bummer. But I guess $1500 is more than we had. :)

Jules said...

I know how you feel. So do many other people, I am sure! I will be praying for ya'll. I don't know about ours yet, so far, we don't know of anything that will mess it up, but you never know. And, R&B only got half of theirs and that stinks because they are on Social Security and she has to retire this year. :o( Anyway, gotta go. Love you, Sis

Malisa @ Sanity in Small Doses said...

We got our full check and we both have student loans that we're paying on. Hmm.. I'm sorry. You don't get anything?