I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Do we appreciate our spouse?

I had a revelation I guess you would call it this past week. See, I have been really really really grouchy (all right I have been H_l_ on wheels) the past couple of weeks. I finally figured out why last week. It is because I dont feel appreciated. I dont feel like anything I do matters or that it even gets noticed. I know that my kids notice, I get "Thank You Mommas" and "Momma I love you" and "ooohhhh momma its so pretty and clean" But the past few months I havent been getting , "Honey the house looks great" or "Honey that meal sure was good" or anything like that...

Yes I know I am not supposed to get mad over this, I know he goes to work everyday and works really really hard to support our family (and he doesnt have an easy job either. It is very physically and mentally demanding.) I know that he is supposed to have a clean house and a good meal on the table when he gets home. I know all this. But Like him and I talked (okay fought) about this weekend is how if he expects us to tell him how much we appreciate him going to work everyday and working as hard as he does then what is wrong with me expecting him to tell me that I did a good job? I know it is not supposed to work that way but you can only take so long of not ever being told that you are doing a good job.

It is only human nature to notice when something is wrong and not all the many days in a row that it is right. Like Paul said when we were talking. All he notices is when he comes home and there are toys out or I havent folded the last load of laundry that came out of the dryer. He cant remember the many days that he comes home and the house is clean and the laundry is put up.

Same goes for me. When he comes home and sits down instead of doing things I know needs done or on weekends when he does stuff that he wants to do instead of doing things that he has been supposed to do for the past three months. I get irritated and all I see are all the things he hasnt done instead of the things that he does.

So my question today is Do we really appreciate our spouse? Do we show or tell that we appreciate the way that they need to be told? I am a verbal person. I need to be told that I am doing a good job. And come to find out Paul is too. He said he hasnt been telling me when I do good because i havent been telling him. And in his word when he called me Monday morning to say he was sorry...." I am sorry I havent been telling you that I appreciate you. Its not right for me to expect to be told that I'm appreciated when I dont do it myself. I'll try to do better and maybe if youll help me I can get better at it. Cause I do Love you and Appreciate you!"

Lets just say that I am in a lot better mood now. I am more willing to make sure the house is clean and I havent grumbled today about having to do anything that requiers extra work because I know that I am appreciated. I know that the smile on his face when he comes home to a clean house and a happy wife will be worth it.

Just a little food for thought. Tell me what you think or what you do to show or tell your husband your appreciation.

Love and Prayers
Crystal

3 comments:

javamamma said...

Great post. I think we all go through these times. It's always good to get a reminder to appreciate my honey!

Jules said...

Loved this, how true! Thanks, Sis! :o)

JavaMama said...

Ooh, great reminder for me this morning. I just watched my poor dh pull his clothes from the dryer and walk off in frustration that he now must iron them himself :0(

The thing for me, is idleness. I find myself being idle in the things that I need to be doing like laundry. I really hate doing the laundry. If I stay on top of it it isn't so bad but miss one day and ugh.

I really have learned not to expect praise, although it is nice to receive it, for a job well done, because for one I feel that I am always unworthy of it. I try hard to focus on Collosians 3:23 working for the LORD and not for men, it really helps. It can become our focus in our labor of love if we are not careful, it just comes naturally right.

The fact is that we are selfish humans that desire to be praised for our good works... but we are called by God to do these good works not for praise of ourselves but for HIS GLORY and HIS GLORY alone, nothing more.

Oh, Lord help me for I fear incapable of walking in these thoughts today!

Thanks Crystal for the PROVOKING and ENCOURAGING thought this morning, and just to let you know I wasn't preaching at you but at myself :0).

Let us worship today as we strive to walk in love...

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli