I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Our Homeschool

Tiany over at Less of Me ~ More of Him, http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Tiany is hosting a Homeschool open house.

We are a family of five, my husband paul, myself, four year old Kylie, two year old Alaina, and 5 mth old Jason. We do not officially homeschool yet. We have been working with Kylie and Alaina on their basic skills and are looking into Curriculums for next year, maybe in December if Kylie is ready.

Our days are very unscheduled and fun. We usually get up in the mornings and eat breakfast. Kylie prays and then we have a little bible story and talk about it. Then we clean up the kitchen, start laundry, and pick up through the house. When we get all this done, we usually sit down and do some worksheets and puzzles and some days a craft. Our schooling also includes lessons in everyday life such as cooking and getting dressed. We also have lessons when we go to the grocery store.

I recently bought "Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons" and "Slow and Steady Get Me Ready" . We will probably start with these in another month or so...Right now we use alot of books....bought and checked out from the library.

If I had to give advice to anyone new to homeschooling it would be to not stress, do research, and pray. It all gets better with prayer.

Questions I have....too many to ask. I am still new to this myself and I will probably always have questions. But I guess, Does it always feel overwhelming?

Our school isnt much right now but then again I only have one that is really ready to do school the others are still playing. Although Alaina is very smart and is catching on fast.


I think this is everything, just your typical life with toddlers and infants.

Love and Prayers
Crystal

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful year. Play, play, play with little learners. The time slips away so fast. :)

Cindy
www.homeschoolblogger.com/westward

Anonymous said...

sounds great, have fun!

Anonymous said...

play, play, play...have a great time
jennifer

Christine said...

Sounds like you're doing just what's needed for your family now! My 7 year old is doing formal academics at this point for about 3 hrs a day. I'm getting ready to start my 4.5 year old on "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" and a manipulatives-based light math program. She does go to a Montessori preschool as well and will stay home for Kindergarten next fall. Our 19 month old just plays! We are very picky about the toys in our home- blocks, puzzles, manipulatives, and tons and tons of books. The environment is half the battle, I think. Good luck in your homeschooling journey!! Thanks for visiting me! Have a great weekend!

Jules said...

Sis,

Sorry I haven't emailed you yet. THis day has been crazy, Charlie didn't work today either. He is SO SICK! Please pray for him. We really need it and him most of all.

I haven't had the time to sit down and figure out what we are doing with Claire. I have been trying to stay away from the computer a little this week and pray to clear my head. I think it has worked a little bit. I am still struggling with a lot of things. I will finish this in the morning (by email) so everyone doesn't have to read my ramblings! Love you and I am proud of you. Thank you for the sweet comment. I have felt so alone lately.
Hugs,
Julie

Jules said...

Whoa! You have SIX comments, it's a blogging record! This is GREAT! Love you, Sissy

Malisa @ Sanity in Small Doses said...

That's pretty amazing that you want to homeschool your children. What a gift you are offering to them!

Melissa Markham said...

Have a lot of fun with your children! It's great that you are plugged into a homeschool community before you are really starting on the nitty gritty. That gives you a great resource and the time to think through things! Have a great year!